Actually there are two Locharron Graveyards, separated by a stream, east of the village. The old
graveyard surrounds the ruin of a church built in 1751, probably on the site of an earlier structure and known as
the "long church"in comparison to the previous church building. The church in the new graveyard known as the
East Church and built in 1836 replaced it. It is no longer in regular use except for funerals, when it is used by all
Kishorn Graveyard is not visible from the road, but it is past Kishorn village, you will see a wall surrounding the
ruins of Courthil House and it is beyond there. The old graveyard is behind the new graveyard. In the middle of the
old graveyard is what is believed to be the foundation of St. Donan's Chapel. This may be the oldest graveyard in the
area as St. Donan came to this area one hundred years before St. Maelrubha.
Applecross Graveyard is where St. Maelrubha founded his monastery in 673 A.D. An area of six square
miles around was a sanctuary, thus the Gaelic name for Applecross - A
Chomraich. St. Maelrubha travelled widely
until his death and burial here in 722 A.D. The Church, now seldom used except for funerals, was built in 1817 during
the time of Rev. John MacQueen. He too lies buried here. Fragments of carved stones from the graveyard are in the
Church for safe keeping.
Annat Graveyard is just past Annat village. The foundations of an ancient building were discovered here and
are probably another site of worship. Nearby there was a well credited with miraculous healing properties.
Nowadays people seem to prefer the powers of modern medicine and it has fallen into disuse.
It is believed that these graveyards have been in constant use since the coming of the Saints and perhaps,
much longer, as the Saints would have established them-selves in centers of population, wisely adapting local customs
to suit Christianity.
Nowadays, there are official gravediggers, but until recent times it was the custom that the relatives of the
deceased dug the graves, or arrange for this to be done. Each family knew their own plot and a glance around an old
graveyard will show unnamed "marker stones" which were known to the families concerned. Gravestones with names
and dates are only about 250 years old, and belong to the better-off members of society.
Since legislation was passed forbidding further interments in the old graveyards, these have had to be
extended, some several times. An occasional funeral has taken place in old graveyards when perhaps the last
surviving member of a family has died, usually at a great age, but it is possible that these folks are now all gone...
Strangely, there is not graveyard at Shieldaig, though when the site of the modern housing scheme was
excavated, remains of a prehistoric burial site were found. Most Shieldaig people are buried in
Generation after generation lie in these sacred plots which are situated at the head of sea lochs and
enclosed by stone walls, looking across the water to the hills beyond.
Some Graveyards Around